Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My New Van! - 2016 Winnebago Travato 59K

Well, my new Travato was delivered.   This is a 2016 model 59K Winnebago Travato. This is replacing my 2015 59G.  As you will see, the floorplan is completely different and has many additional features.  It's certainly a different type of van, and I hope, fits my traveling style a little better.   I'm certainly not going to say that one floorplan is superior to another.  It's kinda like which ice cream is better - strawberry or vanilla? They are both delicious!

This van I ordered.  Got it exactly as I wanted and didn't have to pay for items I didn't want.  Also, since it was delivered to me 1 day after arrival, there was no sitting on the dealer's lot with people fooling with things and the batteries getting run down and damaged.

This blog entry is only to highlight some of the more interesting features and some of the customizing I've done so far.   A more thorough review of all the aspects of this model will be forthcoming in a video I'll be shooting very soon.



The color is called Granite.  It's a dark gray with a tiny metal flake in it.  I think the dark colors help you blend in better if you plan to "stealth" camp.   I have some trip ideas where that may be advantageous.



I fitted my chrome plated RAM front license tag for a little "bling".



Overall, I think the exterior fitment, smoothness of the panels and around the windows is better than what I've seen on the G's.  The paint work on the bumper covers and wheel trim is pretty good, but not perfection, but better than on my last one.   I did have some overspray on the light gray grill.  I removed that with some dish soap and a clay bar, so now it's perfect.  These painted items and the stainless trim on the sides is called the "deluxe package" and costs extra.  But it's a better look than the plain black plastic on the standard van.

I ordered the 100 watt solar package.  You get a 100 watt panel on the roof, a combiner box on the roof that will take a total of 3 wiring connection, an additional input on the side of the van for a portable panel and a 30 amp controller inside the van to control it all.   Below, you see the extra 80 watt panel I ordered from Zamp and installed myself.



It's feet are mounted to the roof with a VHB tape (3M 5952 VHB Tape).  It's the highest grade I could find and it appears really tough to pull off.   I still have to apply the black dicor sealant over the feet and the wiring anchors I also stuck down.   I have another 80 watt panel to install between the awning and the air conditioner, but I had to order taller feet so it would clear some items on that side of the van.  I'll post more on that later after I get the parts.




Now to look at the interior.  One of the nice features of this model is the wide and clear main entry.  It's really an inviting view.






The kitchen is compact, but has everything you'd need - 4.3 cf 12v/110v refrigerator (really deep),  convection microwave, deep sink with accessories (dishpan, drainer, cutting board, hanging utensil drainer), extra counter space and pull out extender.



Nice big work space with the stove and sink covers closed.   Note the stainless steel paper towel holder I mounted with VHB tape.




View towards the front.  Very open.



I planned to set this up with one bed made up and the other bed made into a sofa.  For the bed, I put on a twin mattress cover and used a standard twin sheet set and a microfiber blanket of a medium weight.  I can upgrade to a comforter for winter trips.  Most of my trips are traveling alone (with just the dog).  But I always have the option to take someone along and have a decent bed for them.



Note the bolsters I bought on Amazon (Wedge Bolsters).  They are a dense foam with a microfiber velour covering.  They come in a variety of colors, or you can buy individual covers and change them out if you get bored with the color.  There must be a standard size for these things - these are 36" wide, 15" at the base, 9" at the top.  I think the size is pretty perfect and they fit snuggly so they aren't going to move around when underway.


I'm a sofa person.  I sit on a sofa at home most of the time, so this suits me well.



Much more storage for kitchen stuff above than in the G.  I was able to add a few cookware items.



But the drawer space is alittle more limited.  Mostly all my utensils fit in the large top drawer.  Note I had to add a knife block, as there is no place for the knife rack I was using inside the cabinet on the G.  In the bottom drawer, I keep pot holders and all my grilling tools, lighters, and tablecloth clamps.



This is the refrigerator temp sensors I added.  Note below, the fridge is at the mid-point to get these temps.  It seems to hold temperature really well.  No more worrying about be level, or flames being blown out like I did on the 3 way.



This is the extent of the controls on the fridge - a simple dial - off to max cold.



There is a long, tube type light on the forward bulkhead.  Appears to be LED.  Has two settings on a switch - high and low.  It's very bright.



Storage over the bed.  Some of the stuff that I was putting in the outside storage box will now go in here - electrical odds and ends, lanterns, outside lights, lp bottles, extention cords, etc.



This is the compartment in the floor in the front of the van.  It's around 4" deep.  Great place for dog stuff and shoes, sandals, etc.   This area extended off under the kitchen cabinet in the older vans, but does not in the new ones.  It isn't any wider than what you see in the picture.



Above the cab is a cubby I use for soft goods - the window covers (these are also new and improved on the 2016 models), blankets, hats, bike helmet, etc.



In the back of the van, I stuck on this utility hook set.  I had to cut it down a few inches for it to fit as that rear bulkhead was wider on the G.  But only took a few seconds on the chop saw.  Great place for those items like the washing brush, window squeegee, broom and umbrella.  Note I also hung the shower curtain full time and hold it back with a tie-back attached to one of these hooks.  Less to fumble with.  Still not thrilled with the shower curtain, but it will do until I figure out something better.



This is the wet storage under the bathroom cabinet.  It's fairly deep - here is a list of everything I have in there:  PD power protector, shore power cord, sewer solution with extra 10' hose, 25' coil water hose, end connector for "stinky slinky" hose, tire inflator and tire iron/jack kit.  That is a lot!



This is the area under the bed.  That space is 11" wide, 19" deep and 54" long.  I have all my outside stuff in there:  grill stove, 2 pico chairs, grill table, side table, level blocks, wheel chocks, lantern pole, campsite 5' x 9' rug, & collapsible trash can.



This is the electronic "control center".  This is the heart of alot of new features that I wanted.



The One Place control system is alot nicer than the old system with the dummy lights.  It controls the generator and water pump, gives you tank levels and battery voltages.  The tank levels are minimal - you get E, 1/3, 2/3 or F.



Gives you status on both the chassis battery, and the combined  voltage on the two group 31 AGM house batteries.



Turning on the water pump is just one soft touch button.



Generator control is just one push - either stop, start or you can check the hours meter.  It also gives you a status statement - like Running, Stopped, etc.  I also installed my EC-30W wireless Onan remote control/autostart unit.  It works perfectly with the One-Place and gives additional statements on the diplay like Auto-Start, Auto-Stop, etc.



This is the solar controller.  The display is quite bright, so it didn't photograph well.  It gives you voltage, charging amps and amp-hours put in the batteries.  It's basically a status display and you really don't need to do anything with it, other than enjoy free power from the sun.



This is the primary improvement over my old van.  The Truma Combi system.  It's a highly efficient, combination unit that does both the van heating and water heating.  You have alot of control over these functions and it will run on either LP gas, two modes of 110v operation, or a combination where it will primarily use 110v and switch to gas if power is interrrupted.  Above is the primary display.  There is a control wheel button (kinda like on an ipod) that you scroll thru these icons to set various aspects of the system.



The first stop is the van heating/furnace function.  You set this to whatever degree you prefer.   In the picture above, you see various icons telling you system status - OFF would be a number of whatever temperature you would set.  The flame indicates the furnace is on.
The lighting bolt indicates the power source selected.  The fan blade is the fan speed selected.  The power plug icon on the right side indicates that shore power is connected and available.



The next stop is water heating function.  You select either off, 104 degrees or 140 degrees.  Not as precise as furnace function, but it doesn't need to be.



The third stop is power source.  Here you either select gas, mixed power low, mixed power high, 110v only low (850 watts), 110v only high (1700 watts).



The forth stop is fan speed.  You have off, low and high.   The other stops (icons along the bottom of the first display are timers you can set and the system settings menu.   It's actually a pretty easy system to use once you fool with it for a few minutes.  It works very well in 110v mode, which I did for several days plugged in on a drop cord in my garage.


Another great feature is the power management system.  The intent of this system is to shed loads so you don't trip breakers.  You can set the system to respect a 20 amp power source (like on a drop cord in your garage) or a 30 amp power source like at a campground and using your shore power cord.  But it also will work with your generator engaged to protect it from being overloaded.  Note in the example above, I have some lights running and the Truma heating to 70 degrees in the 700 watt 110v mode.  System is drawing 7 amps.  On the status lights to the right, you see the big loads that would be shed if we were facing an overload situation - water heater first, then refrigerator, then air conditioner last.



Here is where I mounted the EC-30W remote unit.  There is a nice outlet on this end of the kitchen counter so I could plug it in (for charging it's rechargeable battery, but also for power sensing the 110v is active.   To the right, I also mounted the charging unit for my LED flashlight - just pop in the battery in there every now and then.   The nice thing about this location for the remote is that it is right behind the driver's seat.  I can easily grab the remote and start the generator while underway.



Some other things I added like a thermometer (outside sensor is mounted under the retractable step) and 3M Command hooks.   I put several hooks up - one outside the bathroom, one inside the bathroom, one here in the picture, and one near the grab handle at the entry.

This model also has nice, bright, articulating LED reading lights.  These will really be useful.



Last, but not least, the entertainment system.  The stereo has some nice features and has some open ports for digital audio.  In the cubby below, you can see there is plenty of space for some additional equipment.  What you see here is an HDMI switch and a Blu-Ray player.   There is still room for my Dish Tailgater decoder box.   One of my next projects is to wire all this up using the HDMI switch for both items plus a Chromecast I like to use to project my laptop on the TV.  To run these wires the backing panel on this cubby will have to come out - but that is easy as it's held in with 4 visible screws.  More on that later!


45 comments:

  1. Did I read dog? Don't hold out on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Bonz has appeared in a few blog posts and videos. He doesn't really like the limelight. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Rig, we have followed your site for sometime. we ordered a 2016 59G to get the new mid year enhancements that none of the lot units had, like the 100w solar, the Truma Combi and the electric control center. you will enjoy those new options as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the Travato write up. I've been internet Class B shopping and this really helped. I'm really looking forward to updates and hope you keep posting. I've read quite a few complaints on the generator being extremely noisy on some of the Travatos and was wondering what your experience has been? Also, can you put a track on the ceiling in the shower to help with that dilemma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onan generators are fairly noisy, especially on a B van because it hangs underneath and not in a sound deadening compartment. It's not any more or less noise on a Travato than on other brands of van. I do have a post where I tested dB levels with a meter. Only my old van, I often had to run the generator to power the water heater. On this new one, I won't have to do that, so my usage of the generator will be alot less. Almost everything is 12v except the air conditioner and the microwave, and I don't use those items often.

      I'm going to use the shower curtain as-is for a bit and see how I like it and if I want to make changes. I see no reason why a track can't be mounted to the ceiling. You just have to be extremely careful about where you would mount screws - ideally where those snaps are I would think.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this great view of Travato 59k. Please comment on noise of generator inside and out. Also, are new panels really held on roof with only tape?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, with 3M VHB tape. It will be covered with dicor to protect from moisture. Same stuff that holds on automotive trim mouldings.

    The generator sound is no different than I've reported before. See my blog post in 2014 on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the new Van, Ron. Great color. Nice job with the add-ons. I'm sure you have lots more up your sleeve. Will check back soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative and appreciate the photos.

    Do you prefer the bathroom in the 59 K (besides the shower curtain; nice temp fix in the photo).. Is it roomier than the "G"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's roomier and brighter. The mirror is big enough to be useful. I like that it also doubles as a dressing area with your clothes right in that large cabinet.

      Delete
  9. Thank you. Does the air circulate in there - either heat or A/C?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I understand your question. There is a MaxxAir Deluxe ventilation fan in addition to the Truma heating system and the roof mounted Coleman Mach 8 air conditioner.

      Delete
  10. Is there a vent in the bathroom? Or just on the ceiling...I can't remember how the ventilation is setup. I've been looking at the Arriva Coachhouse that has rear bathroom with separate shower stahl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes there is a vent fan in the bathroom. It's a pop-up type that you see on most vans. There is also a furnace vent in the bathroom, which is nice on cold mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! Thanks that is exactly the info I wanted.
    Once again, great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice- looks like my 2016 G- same color.

    FYI- I saw a video from Lichtsinn that tested how long the battery will support the electric fridge- I think they went 5 days. Their Travato K in the test only had the 100w solar panel and had a few cloudy days in the test. .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's the video - https://youtu.be/P1RB6FJft0Y
    They started the test on a Friday morning. By Monday morning, their batteries were at 25%. That is a pretty high consumption and is almost alarming they were using that much power with just the refrigerator alone. I suspect other things were on. Bear in mind this is also with a solar panel. You never ever want to drain your batteries down to 25% as they are likely permanently damaged now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the excellent video. A question about under bed storage. The passenger side bed is 80" long but the storage space under it is only 54". What is the other 26" used for? Does the drivers side bed have an hinged lid for maintenance and to access possible unused space?

    ReplyDelete
  16. At the head of the passenger side bed, is the electrical area - the distribution panel with all the circuit breakers is there, so that space is closed off. Also the 80" length of the bed is not the length of the cabinet underneath, the bed platform overhangs a few inches (3"-4"). On the driver's side, that bed underneath houses the Truma system, piping, the external sewer hose tube, water filter and other mechanical items. There is an access panel you can remove to service the water filter and to do winterization.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for all of the useful information! I hope to purchase a 59K soon. Do you have any experience yet with the air conditioner? The Fit RV people seem to be less than happy with the noise level of their roof air on their 59G. I am interested to hear your impressions. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it works fine. FitRV is probably unhappy with theirs because they opted to place the bed so high - putting them right under the AC unit (likely 18" above them). This compromise I think they will live to regret.

      Delete
  18. Wincrasher, thank you so much for the video as I will be borrowing all those great ideas for my new Travato 59K, lol. Going to be picking it up at the January RV show in Tampa but undecided on gas or diesel.

    Thanks again
    Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wincrasher, thanks for the video and just wanted to know if you prefer the gas or diesel? I'm planning on getting one at the Tampa RV show in January.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wincrasher, thanks for the review and please keep improvements, ideas, coming. I like to know if have considered putting a piece of slotted wood (bamboo or similar) on top of the shower floor. I saw most european rv has it and think it may make sense since it dry faster than the acrylic floor.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wincrasher, did you see the new insert for the 59K bed to make it into a queen size? Also, I test drove the diesel 59K and the microwave seemed to rattle as it sat in neutral. Do you have the same noise problem?

    Thanks
    Anthony

    http://www.colonialwinnebago.com/Travato_winnebago_for_sale/10680/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wincrasher,
    Thanks for all of the content you post. You are very clever and a boon for people like me entering into the travel van world. I just have a quick question if you will entertain it. We are looking at 2016 59Gs. It appears the Fiamma awnings are mounted on the units with kayak racks and Carefree awnings on non-kayak-racked units. Aside from the Fiammas not having LED lighting, do you know of any other differences, such as with set-up? Since your 59K doesn't have a kayak-rack I assume you have the Carefree. Are the LEDs bright enough to be functional lighting? Any other thoughts on this? Thanks for you consideration!
    Bryce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome!
      I think the quality of the two different awnings is the same. I couldn't tell any differences between them.

      Having had both, I certainly prefer having the lights. They are not quite bright enough to read by (at least these old eyes), but they are fine for most uses like socializing or eating. You can always supplement with the porch light if you need more light. Often I found that I would just turn it off and use my latern, as the awning light could be just too bright some evenings.

      Delete
  23. Thanks for your reply. Congratulations on your tug!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoyed your 59G review & tips last year, looking forward to all you have to say/write about your 59K, really priceless, thank you...
    Future 59K Travato Owner in New England

    ReplyDelete
  25. wincrasher have you made a decision for passenger getting in and out of travata ? wife 5.2 has to always use center door ? any suggestions. would like to install step as the one mid coach .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hsvr no need and no plans to install steps for the cab.

      Delete
  26. Hi,
    JUST found your blog...great info, thanks! Can you give some insight pros/cons of gas vs diesel? We are planning on buying a Travato soon and don't want to start out making any mistakes from just not knowing! Also, any insight on new 2017 vs 2016? Thanks so much, be safe and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Curious now that you've had the K a few months, do you prefer the K floor plan to the G? What do you like better? About ready to pull the trigger on a G but thought I'd look at the K one more time first. Thanks for your awesome and informative site.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  28. Superb blog! We are to take delivery of a 2017 59K in early August. Have you updated the blog and how about the video you referred to? Also, how are the solar panels you installed holding up? Our will have the 100 watt factory installed option and we are getting it with ladder only. No roof rack. This will allow for additional panels like your, I believe. Also any new developments with your experience in your unit? Thanks so much for sharing your mods etc. Very well presented!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wincrasher. Quick question... now that you have had the K for a while how do you like the couch seating? With the bolsters, etc do you find it comfortable (e.g. while watching a movie)? We are debating a K vs G vs Zion so your input would be helpful. Rare to find someone that owned a G and K.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My wife and I would like to take our 2 grandchildren. Do you have only two seat belts? Or do the twin beds have seat belts??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only seat belts are on the front seats. If you want to take small children with you, you should consider the G model of this van.

      Delete
  31. Awesome review. One small comment... Sadly the Chromecast idea will likely not work. Unless you install a wifi router or will use a wifi router. Any suggested alternatives?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank's for all the great information about the Travato K! Did I miss the video review? I can't seem to find it. Also, I read in one of you comments that you gave up on the Stowaway2, Should I avoid this type of outside storage on the Travato? Thanks again for a great site.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all the great information. You did a better job than Lichtsinn!
    I am considering ordering a 2017.5 K. Since I also travel with just a dog my living setup would be identical to yours. However, I would like a work area by the couch. Have you considered or do you think a Lagun boat table would work? To me the concept would be ideal if the side wall of the couch could support the pole assembly.
    Thank you,
    psjh

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wincrasher, I love all you tips & ideas on the Travato. We are looking to buy one as soon as we find one, K model that is! I hope to use your idea about the shower curtain, if I am able to figure it out. So know one ever says, but what is a fair price to pay. They run all over the place. No racks or ladder, 2017 or 2018. I mean actual price?? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wincrasher, I love your ideas on the shower curtain, I hope to do the same in my new Travato as soon as I get it. Been looking, soon as I find it will purchase it. Looking for 2017 or 2018 K model. No one ever mentions the cost. What is a good price for one? Prices are all over the place, what is the real cost on one, or how do I know what's a fair/good price to pay? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally you can expect to pay 75% of MSRP. Sometimes more, sometimes less - it just depends on your dealer, time of year, etc. You could save a little buying a '17, as there is always a minor price increase year to year.

      Delete
  36. Wincrasher -- wonderful review / photos and mods to your K! I got a 2017 1/2 granite K and will consider a number of your mods... the shower curtain one for sure! Did yours not come with couch bolsters? Mine came with two. I haven't seen a photo of your dog yet. Curious about his size. I'd love to travel with one but these are of course pretty small inside. Best wishes and look forward to more post from you. -- Don

    ReplyDelete