Monday, April 25, 2016

Viair RV Compressor Kit

About a year ago, I got this RV grade Viair compressor to carry in the van: Viair 400P-RV on Amazon.    I was carrying around a bulky compressor with a tank that required AC power and was quite noisy and heavy.

I never opened it, or had the time to fool around with it.  Until this weekend.  Both bicycles had flat tires and the car's tires were also low.   Being a beautiful, sunny day, I opened the box and dug thru the contents.

I must say, my first thoughts was that I was very impressed.  The hardware is substantial.  All metal fittings, housings, etc.  The gauge is heavy duty. 

What makes this an RV specific compressor is the duty cycle, it comes with two sections of hose and comes with the adapter to fill dual rear tires.  You can read the specs on the Amazon link, so I won't bore you with that stuff here.

To my amazement, this thing works so well, you don't miss that there is no tank.  When you turn it on, it will shut off it's motor if the line pressure is stabilized.  When you pull the trigger, it resumes operation to fill your tires.  You let off the trigger to measure your tire's pressure. There is also a bleed-off valve to release pressure if you go above your target.

Another thing was the sound.  It is not loud (my guess is 45 dB) and it's a very low frequency.  Very pleasant sound and would not interfere with conversation if you were talking with someone.  The base has a vibration isolation foot.   I suspect that also keeps the noise down and also prevents it from moving around if you set it down.

Here you can see all the parts in the kit - the bag, the compressor, the two hose sections, the dual adapter filler, the trigger with the regular fill hose.   This fill hose is a threaded connection, not a quick release.  You twist it on your stem and then pump.  It also comes with some adapters to fill balls and sports equipment.   The power connection is via alligator clips to your battery.   I suppose you could change that to use a Battery Tender pigtail if you had one of those mounted, or a cigarette style adapter.  It comes with neither.


Note the trigger and fittings are all metal - no plastic "metalized" parts.


I was pretty impressed with this gauge.  It's dead on with my regular pressure gauge.


Alligator clips to connect to your battery.


Brass fittings to connect hoses.  You don't have to use both sections - you can connect only one if you don't need the length.


Everything fits loosely in the bag, not a tight squeeze like some things you buy that don't want to go back in their bags - like inflatable kayaks!


I honestly did not think the hoses would go back in their dedicated pouches.  But they did easily!


Nice compact package in a canvas bag.  Perfect for throwing in the trunk, in the cabin or a cabinet.  Love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment