Thursday, January 12, 2017

Solar Project Follow-Up

Well, we finally got a sunny day where I could test my solar.   So far, it's either been severely overcast, or rainy, or a snow storm.

So the snow finally melted off, the sun came out, so I went out to check the display on my solar controller, with great anticipation.

10.5 volts, 0 amps,  Zzzzz mode.

Sigh.

Nothing is easy, is it?

So I pulled out my trusty voltmeter and went to work.   Tested the batteries.  Tested at the inputs to the controllers.  Tested at the circuit breaker.  Pulled the cabinet apart above the driver, pulled the wiring out of the loops and peeled of the insulation - 10.5 volts.

So up on the roof I went.

Pulled all the wiring connections apart.   Each string of 3 panels tested out at 64 volts.  Whew!  That was a relief!

Turns out one of the cables coming out of the roof penetration was not well seated in it's connector.  Took it apart, fiddled with how it was put togther, and put it all back together.

Success!


This is about 50% of the max output according to the specifications.  Not bad really considering this is winter sun, low on the horizon.   Makes me kinda wish I had installed the two extra panels, but that might not be such a good idea in the summer in the American Southwest where I'll be this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment