Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Installing Powered Cord Reel & EMS

Today I installed several items in the electrical bay.

Standard with the coach is a transfer switch with a built in surge suppressor.  This is fine for surges, but it does nothing for power dips or polarity problems in older power pedestals.

First task was to install the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C.  This device works very well and will disconnect the power to your rig if it reads high or low voltage, polarity errors, etc.  There is a remote display so you can see what volts and amps it's drawing, as well as error codes for problems it discovers.  It also has a switch if you want to bypass the device.

To install the EMS, you have to cut the shore power cord, strip back the leads and connect it to the device per the instructions.

Since I was cutting the 25' shore power cord, I decided to install a Shoreline Powered Cord Reel.  It comes with 34' of 50 amp cord, plus a short pigtail to install it to your transfer switch. In my case, I installed it to my EMS unit.  There is also a switch to retract/release the cord that you need to run to 12 volt power to make it all work.   I ran some 12 gauge wire over to the next bay where the generator lives.   It has posts for positive and chassis ground on the side of the generator.   I routed the wires over there, covered them in combing, and zip tied it to secure it.

The cord reel works smoothly and makes quick work of what are normally unwieldy and heavy 50 amp shore cord.

The final item I installed was a Moryde Manual Cord Reel to house my 50 amp extension cord.  This gives me an additional 30 feet of length for those rare occasions where the power is farther away than normal (like at rallies, or if you regular power pedestal goes caput.)  You don't use this very often, so a manual reel works just fine.  All there is to install it is to drill the holes and bolt it down.   The picture below is all this hardware in my electrical bay.  Before, the shore cord alone took up this whole compartment just layed in there.   Now I have room for a bin of other stuff, TBD.




No comments:

Post a Comment