Sunday, November 22, 2015

Solar Project Finished

It took me 3 weeks, but such is life. 

I installed two, 80 watts Zamp solar panels on my Travato 59k. I ordered the parts from Solardealz.com. All in around $500.

I bolted the supporting brackets to the panels thru holes I drilled. I had to space the brackets so they would fit the grooves on the roof of the van. I stuck the brackets to the roof with 3M VHB tape (type 5952). I then coated the feet with black dicor. That stuff can be incredibly messy! WD-40 will take it off painted surfaces, glass, hands, arms, etc.

Here is what the finished product looks like.


I don't think they stick up too much. I doubt there is much wind up there anyways as the slope of the roof pushes the air up and over the van.
I could fashion a wind block for each panel. What do you think?

For the wiring, I got Zamp specific cabling, cut to length and crimped & soldered quick connects on it, and the leads from the panels. I guess I got it right, as there is no reverse polarity error, and current seems to be flowing. The sun is fairly weak so I'm not getting many amps today. With one panel partially shaded, it's putting out 3 amps collectively.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I intend to add more panels to my G but haven't even got to the point of analyzing the space up top. Good to know there are other shape options...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The G is tough to add panels to without sacrificing something - the tv antenna, or the roof vent, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I'm getting 14.5 amps out of this setup! The specs say the theoretical max output is 14.8 amps. That seems pretty good to me and confirms that the negative feedback I got from some was BS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sun is in alignment. Must be crystal clear there...glad it's working as intended

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you order the 40 inch long 80w panels or the 58 inch long? Do you find that those three panels are more than enough to power the 59k fridge while out for 3-5 days boondocking?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete