Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Solar Controller Swapout - Outback to Magnum

Well, a couple things were bothering me about my solar installation.  First, I didn't really like that I bought two extra panels I couldn't use.  The Outback controller literature (and confirmed in forum postings) that the max array size for the FM-80 was 1000 watts.  So I had installed 960 watts.  Everything was working fine, but I could only get 28 amps out of it with this winter sun (when there was no shading).   Also, the Outback user manual is thick - it has a million setting as is way complicated for what I want to commit to learning.

In my research on this controller, I stumbled across the Magnum PT-100.  Not only does it limit charging to 100 amps (the Outback would put out a max of 80 amps), but they market the device for oversized array.  You can put as many panels on as you want and you can't overload the controller (they say up to 6600 watts).   The kicker is that it integrates perfectly with the Magnum ARC-50 remote that controls my AC charger, inverter, auto genstart and battery monitor.   I wish I had known about this device in the beginning, as it's a no-brainer that this is the way to go.  I really like that all the settings for charging are integrated, on one display and should eliminate any conflicts.

So I ordered one, and proceeded with installing my 2 additional panels, for a total of 1280 amps.  At max, I should be 84 volts and 17.2 amps to the controller.  Here's a picture of the new panels - I haven't put sealant on the feet or dressed the wiring yet, but I will soon.


Here is what came in the box.  The controller, a mounting bracket, manual and a bag of wires and the thermal sensor.


I'm very impressed with the robustness of the casing.   The fit and finish is excellent.  I also like that the wiring connections are inherently safe - everything fits in a deep sleeve so nothing can touch live wires.  Where the wires come in is also roomier than the Outback, so fitting the wires in and securing them was a breeze.


I also liked that they supplied a plastic mounting bracket.  Made installation alot easier, as you bolt that in first, then hang the controller on two screws into the bracket, then screw in the two remaining screws.  Hard to mess up.

Here it is all buttoned up.   Flipped the breaker and all came to life without incident.  Almost sunset and it's getting 71.5 volts!  Woohoo!


This device is a good bit wider than the Outback, so I had to move my circuit breaker box and the Tiffin 12v/110v outlet box.  No big deal, just more holes to drill.  I sealed up the old holes with silicone sealant.

All tidyed up and ready to go.  On the ARC-50, it sensed the PT-100 on the network and is now controlling it, per all my charger settings for the inverter/charger.  Happy!


Tomorrow the Lithionics 600 AH battery gets delivered.  Very excited about getting her installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment