Saturday, January 24, 2015

Little Guy T@G Kitchen Mods

My T@G Max did not come with any drawers, shelves or bins in the galley 
cabinet. I tried organizing it with a fabric tool bag, but it still looked like a 
big 'ole mess:


So I bought some 1/4" birch boards (3 1/2" x 24") this week at Lowes and 

decided to make a shelf and some partitions to hold all the kitchen ware.

Step 1 clear it out:

Step 2 build the bin for the dishware, glasses and utensils. I'm certainly 
not a skilled carpenter, but it turned out serviceable. It's velcroed to the 
back of the cabinet so it will stay put while traveling. I built the shelf so 
that it could be taken out to service the water pump. I used 3M red tape 
to hold quarter-round braces (was afraid to screw into the trailer's wood 
as there is a water tank and wiring back there). The shelf breaks down 
into two parts, held together with wood tabs and a velcro strip. It needed 
a leg for support, so I screwed one in made from a piece of quarter-round. 
Sounds flimsy, but it all fits snuggly and seems solid enough.

Step 3 load up my gear:

I like I can now get to all my utensils and they aren't all scattered in the 
bottom of a bag.

Now I have room for some pantry items under the shelf:


I also was having an issue with my folding table. The T@G only has 3 1/2" 
under the bed for storage. My table folded to 4" or so. So I found these on 
Amazon:




What is nice about these is that the tops are not plastic, but aluminum. 
So I can set my grill on the big one.

2 comments:

  1. How do you like the T@G in comparison to the Cricket? I'm looking at getting a camper and really like the look and utilitarian feel of the Cricket, but I've also thought the T@Bs looked pretty useable, too, especially since I live in western Oregon, and it rains quite a bit. I thought you might be able to give some good feedback ... perhaps not on the T@B, but the T@G has been of interest to me, too, just not quite as much, since I like the idea of an inside kitchen. Any input would be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the T@G! This replaced the Cricket. The Cricket was a fine trailer, but I needed something smaller to pull behind my sports car to go to car rallies. The Cricket was too big for my little car - that trailer weighs about 1800 lbs fully loaded. My T@G is around 1000 lbs. If it's going to be your only trailer, the Cricket would serve you well. Mine didn't have air conditioning, but there is lots of venting in the tent section. If you are in a mostly rainy environment, it may be the better choice for you than the T@G.

    Between the T@B and a Cricket, that may be a tough choice. Probably the Cricket would fit better in a garage and is built tougher - more like a piece of sports equipment. The T@B is more homey inside with all the wood finishes. It's also alittle lighter and a good bit cheaper.

    It's a tough choice. Good luck and email me back if you have any more questions!

    ReplyDelete