Saturday, May 9, 2015

Miata MX-5 Cobalt Shock Tower

I was fretting last weekend with not being able to get to and adjust my shock's dampening knob.  Note below is the stock shock tower bar - it essentially has a complete cover over the top of the mount.  Plus the stock part is not very pretty.


So Good-Win Racing to the rescue.  I ordered their Cobalt brace.  It's all stainless and one-piece instead of the 3 pieces of the stock bar.  It should offer a bit more rigidity as well as give open access to my shock adjusters.   Came in a big, but light box:


Completely wrapped in bubble wrap, and packed in paper.



Came with a small pack of hardware (nuts and washers) and the brace was cosmetically perfect.

Here it is installed.   It fit, but it was tight.  I had to strong arm it a bit to get it to fit down over the existing bolts.  With the supercharger, it adds some complication to the install.



The old parts/left over bits.  Not much too it.



It just barely clears the supercharger inlet, but it does clear.



I'll be keeping an eye on these hoses. The large one rests on the smooth surface of the brace.

Now I can get to my shock adjustment knobs.




It does seem to be a bit stiffer and you notice it in the steering response.  With a bit softer setting on the shocks, I'm very happy with how it now rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment